• In the former Sunflower/Moonflower Café space at 287 E. Fountain Blvd., #100, Lofty's (520-0024) opened last month. Josh Kennard and his father, who are also behind Olde World Bagel & Deli on the south end, run the café. Their coffee products come from Pueblo's Solar Roast Coffee; the remainder of the menu features breakfast items (they open daily at 7), pastries, soups, salads and hot and cold sandwiches. Look for art and community events to launch soon as well.
• Paradise Pizza (paradisepizzamenu.com) opened Jan. 13 at 3609-15 Austin Bluffs Pkwy. Owners John Rocco (a former senior center manager) and Linda Lindeman (a former bakery owner) serve a unique "breakfast pizza" that substitutes a hashbrown crust for conventional dough. Unless otherwise requested, each pizza starts with eggs, then adds traditional pizza toppings to create something omelette-esque that looks like a pizza. Most house pies are gluten-free, and the outfit also offers a small traditional breakfast menu.
• In the storefront at 934 Manitou Ave., #105, which briefly housed Bliss café last year, a new outfit called Friends Coffee & Espresso (685-2312) opened Jan. 11. Named partly after the TV show but also after the friendship between owners Dani Adams and Tracy Tate and their husbands, the outfit serves coffee products from Colorado Coffee Merchants, in addition to smoothies and light pastries. Dani's husband Randy, a Colorado Springs Fire Department employee, says the outfit's food offerings will likely expand soon, with items like breakfast burritos and possibly sports drinks to attract the Incline crowd.
Hops and haps
• According to eyewitness and awesome local artist Lorelei Beckstrom, as well as some nonspecific notes on Naturally's Health Food Store & Café's Facebook page, the former South Padre Island, Texas-based café and grocer (naturallys.net) will be opening up in the former Adam's Mountain Café spot at 110 Cañon Ave., sometime soon. Updates when we make contact.
• Owner Martin Allred says Nawlins (3317 Cinema Point Drive, nawlinsbarbq.com) has a new menu out, with items like blackened chicken pasta joining house favorites like alligator green chili and Po-Boys.
• Since we last checked in with them, the owners of A Second Cup (13860 Gleneagle Drive, asecondcup.net) have quietly built up an incredible 23-beer craft tap list with rare selections at an adjacent space they're calling Another Pint American Ale House. See their Facebook page for info on upcoming beer dinners.
• Visit our blog at csindy.com for info on upcoming food events such as The Broadmoor's Salute to Escoffier, Zonta's Glass Slipper Ball and the Jungle Book literary dinner at Giuseppe's.