Mountain Mama Natural Foods (1625 W. Uintah St., mountainmamanaturalfoods.com) would have loved to celebrate its 30th anniversary next month at a new location a few blocks west on 19th Street, which was scheduled to be open by now.
But as you might assume, considering the dirt patch visible there, the deal's gone more sour than a spoiled probiotic drink.
"We just couldn't come to an agreement with the neighbor," says MMNF co-owner Julie Sasinka-Good. "We put a lot of money into the project that we'll never recoup — we're very disappointed."
So what now?
"We're still looking," says Sasinka-Good, speculating that the business could stay in its present location for as long as another three-year lease and "work in expansion items." Or, she says, another west-side landlord could offer a great deal and the operation could move as early as three to six months from now.
While Sasinka-Good and her parents (the other owners) search, they're also working to sell the property on 19th Street, which has already won city approvals and been outfitted with utility connections.
Gluten-free and sweet tea
• The Olive Branch (23 S. Tejon St., 475-1199), in response to customer request, has added gluten-free sections to its breakfast, lunch and dinner menus, which include homemade green chili, Italian garlic toast and pasta options.
• The folks behind Sweet Georgia Brown's Southern Food Restaurant, which closed recently at 1665 LaShelle Way, have now opened Family Outreach Coalition Southern Food Catering (forcsouthernfoodcatering.vpweb.com) based at 1255 Lake Plaza Drive, #257. All orders are tax-deductible, as proceeds go toward community programs.
• The 41st annual Palisade Peach Festival (palisadepeachfest.com), featuring agri-tours, an ice cream social, a peach-eating contest and much more, will take place Aug. 13 to 16.
• Cheryl Fitzwater, a 23-year employee of the now-demolished Hungry Farmer (575 Garden of the Gods Road) will host a reunion party for past employees and loyal customers at 5 p.m., Aug. 15 at Coach's Sports Bar (729 Garden of the Gods Road, 633-8823).
• The Independent Restaurant Cooperative will host the All-IRC Barbecue, featuring entrées, side dishes and desserts from member restaurants and Bristol Brewing Co. beer from 4 to 7 p.m., Aug. 16 at the Margarita at PineCreek (7350 Pine Creek Road, 598-8667). Tickets are $30 ($10 children).