Make way for jerks ...
Chillness will soon descend on the corner of Tejon and Boulder streets. Rasta Pasta has established a reputation for reasonably priced pasta creations in a laid-back atmosphere, and owners Matt and Rebecca Taraborelli and Gregory Harris promise to maintain these key aspects of the franchise at their location at 405 N. Tejon St., tentatively set to open Aug. 31. The menu will offer the same dishes developed by the original owner Dan Gnos, who flaunts Cordon Bleu training on his menus.
The restaurant, already with locations in Fort Collins and Breckenridge, exclusively offers pasta dishes made distinct by Caribbean flavors such as jerk chicken and pineapple. The menu claims that the restaurant's namesake dish is "perhaps the world's finest pasta dish," consisting of jerk chicken tossed over penne with a garlic tomato sauce. Lunch dishes range from $2.95 to $6.45; dinner items from $4.95 to $11.95. The Taraborellis also plan to offer full bar service, late hours and reggae bands.
A new cluster of chain restaurants is tentatively set to open Oct. 29 in the University Village complex, now under construction on North Nevada Avenue between Garden of the Gods Road and Interstate 25. Alongside larger shops like Costco, Lowes and Kohl's, expect to see Panera Bread, Chipotle Mexican Grill and Noodles & Company. Several storefronts remain available for lease, according to Kevin Kratt, the project's developer, who says the venture is experiencing a good level of activity despite the economic downturn.
Desserts, discounts and dinners
• A sign draped outside the old Swiss Miss Shop at 8455 W. U.S. Hwy. 24, Cascade, says the Swiss Miss Fudge Factory will open this summer.
• Metropolis Supper Club (1201 W. Colorado Ave., 227-9888) recently announced new hours and drink specials. Now closed on Mondays, the club will offer $2 domestic beers and well drinks between 11 a.m. and 7 p.m. the rest of the week.
• The Warehouse Restaurant and Gallery (25 W. Cimarron St., 475-8880) has introduced a 10 percent military discount valid during all hours. It may be used in tandem with Saturday night's 50-percent-off-all-bottles-of-wine discount, which is available to everyone.
• Attend the Club Nine Chefs annual barbecue fundraiser at the Margarita at PineCreek (7350 Pine Creek Road, 598-5832) at 4 p.m., June 28 for "gourmet" barbecue, live music and several specialty drink options. Seats are $35 ($15 for 13 and under).
• Bistro de Pinto (26 E. Kiowa St., 473-3539) will host a four-course, wine-paired dinner at 6 p.m., June 30. Seats are $65 plus tax/tip, and RSVP is requested.