An exciting release with deep buzz this week is Project Logic from DJ Logic -- a founding member of the Black Rock Coalition and the unofficial fourth member of Blue Note recording artists Medeski, Martin and Wood. The turntable-intensive release is the first on the new Ropeadope label, a self-owned boutique label from the MM&W camp and features all the aforementioned cohorts and guests Marc Ribot and Living Color's Vernon Reid. Also due this coming Tuesday is the Cocteau Twins' two-CD BBC Sessions on Rykodisc, collecting documents of their many stops at the studios with John Peel -- the influential Radio One DJ who began recording their Garlands album with them only nine days after receiving their cassette demo. Highlights include a previously unreleased instrumental, "My Hue and Cry," and a cover of Billie Holiday's "Strange Fruit.". Those heavily anticipating new music from D'Angelo can look forward to a new single, "Left & Right," due Oct. 26 and the full album, Voodoo, on Nov. 23. ... A two-part British CD single for the Filter's "Welcome to the Fold" has hit stateside. Part one features an exclusive cover of Harry Nilsson's "One (Is the Loneliest Number)" -- a hit when it was covered by Three Dog Night in 1968. Cover fever continues as a tribute to The Doors, titled Stoned Immaculate, is due next month on the Elektra label. The unusual hook on this project is that the remaining members of the band play on each track, backing a diverse set of participants ranging from Chrissie Hynde, Bush, UB40, Aerosmith, Days of the New and more. Two standout tracks include Smash Mouth's take on "Peace Frog," and Creed's spin on "Riders on the Storm." Bloodshot Records has just released a tribute album to the Knitters, a mid-1980s supergroup of sorts (three members of X with Dave Alvin of the Blasters) that only released one album but struck home hard with their country punk sound, influencing the current generation of "No Depression" era alternative country roots rockers. This new collection, Poor Little Knitter on the Road, features one new Knitters song and cover contributions from the Handsome Family, Trailer Bride, Old 97's with guest John Doe, Kelly Hogan and the Rock*A*Teens and more.
New Releases Coming Tuesday, Oct. 12...
...and like the winds, young grasshopper, are subject to change...
- Bjork -- All Is Full of Love (Elektra).
- Eric Clapton -- Chronicles: The Best Of (Reprise) with two new songs.
- Continental Drifters -- Vermilion (Razor & Tie) founded by bassist Mark Walton of the Dream Syndicate, this supergroup also features Peter Holsapple of the dBs and Vicki Peterson of the Bangles.
- The Frogs -- Bananimals (Four Alarm).
- Warren G -- I Want It All (G Funk / Restless) with Jermaine Dupri, Drag-On, Nate Dogg and more.
- Genitorturers -- Machine Love (Cleopatra) remix collection with Dave "Rave" Ogilvie and Scott Humphrey.
- Hot Tuna -- And Furthermore. (Grateful Dead / Arista) recorded live during the Further Festival tour of 1998.
- Idlewild -- Hope Is Important (Odeon ).
- Incubus -- Make Yourself (Epic).
- Millie Jackson -- Between the Sheets (7N Music) 16 classic R&B ballads including her cover of "(If Loving You Is Wrong) I Don't Want To Be Right."
- Donell Jones -- Where I Wanna Be (LaFace).
- Arto Lindsay -- Prize (Righteous Babe) newly signed to Ani Difranco's personal label -- this new album continues his American-Portuguese bossa nova trip with guests Brian Eno and rap artist Beans.
- Map of Wyoming -- Round Trip (Innerstate) with guest guitarist Chuck Prophet.
- Medeski, Martin and Wood -- Best Of (Rykodisc) with three bonus remixed tracks and a live version of "Nightmarchers."
- Mint Condition -- Life's Aquarium (Elektra).
- Neal Morse -- Neal Morse (Radiant / Metal Blade) first solo album from the prog rock visionary of Spock's Bead.
- My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult -- Dirty Little Secrets: Music To Strip By (Rykodisc) 18-track collection of remixes.
- Pavement -- "Bring On the Major Leagues" (Matador) 5" CD single with four bonus non-LP tracks.
- Run DMC -- Crown Royal (Arista) all new.
- Sister Double Happiness -- A Stone's Throw From Love (Innerstate) live and acoustic.
- Spice 1 -- Immortalized (Jive).
- Various artists -- Poor Little Knitter on the Road: A Tribute to the Knitters (Bloodshot).
- YoungBloodz -- Against the Grain (Ghet-O-Vision / LaFace).
- Zen Mafia -- California (Kneeling Elephant / RCA) features their urban beat stylings on a cover of Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Sweet Home Alabama."
- Zeros -- Right Now! (Bomp!) dubbed the "Mexican Ramones."