The new Paul McCartney album -- Run Devin Run -- due in October, is a return to the music of his teenage roots with 12 covers of 1950s material and three new originals with guest musicians including Mick Green, Ian Paice and Pink Floyd's David Gilmour. The first British CD single from the set is "No Other Baby," a two-parter that has some fun with the '50s theme -- both parts are the same three tracks, but one is mono and one is stereo...
An interesting new sound collage from Tricky (serving as executive producer) is due at the end of this month. Titled Product of the Environment, it's a spoken-word album of conversations with UK underworld criminals of the 1960s set to music...
A tribute to the band The Jam is due in November, titled Fire and Skill. Artists announced so far to contribute include Buffalo Tom doing "Going Underground" and a collaboration of Oasis and Ocean Colour Scene covering "Carnation"...
Speaking of covers, Reload, a new album from the Welsh makes 'em sweat white Godfather of libido, Tom Jones, is set for release later this month in the UK on the Gut label. The all-covers album finds Jones dueting with such strange teamings as Van Morrison, The Pretenders, Portishead, Barenaked Ladies, Catatonia, and the Manic Street Preachers. One track of mind-boggling adventure is the first single -- the Talking Heads' "Burning Down the House" with the Cardigans...
The fourth in the series of self-released CDs from Sonic Youth is due in November, a two-CD or two-LP collection of their interpretations of work by contemporary composers John Cage, Yoko Ono, Steve Reich, and James Tenney...
New Releases Coming Tuesday, September 28
...and like the winds, young grasshopper, are subject to change...
- Marc Anthony -- Marc Anthony (Columbia) hot Latin superstar who starred in Paul Simon's Broadway production of The Capeman, featuring a duet with Jennifer Lopez.
- Arcwelder -- Everest (Touch & Go).
- Ash -- Nu-Clear Sounds (Reprise).
- Bloodhound Gang -- Hooray for Boobies (Geffen).
- Broken Hope -- Grotesque Blessings (Martyr Music).
- Meredith Brooks -- Deconstruction (Virgin).
- Garth Brooks -- The Life of Chris Gaines (Capitol).
- Paula Cole Band -- Amen (Warner Bros).
- Comet Gain -- Tigertown Pictures (Kill Rock Stars) the LP version contains a bonus 7".
- Creed -- Human Clay (Wind-Up) limited-edition colored vinyl will be available in a gatefold sleeve.
- Marshall Crenshaw -- Number 447 (Razor & Tie) terrific new album -- his first in three years.
- Shannon Curfman -- Loud Guitars, Big Suspicions (Arista) 14-year-old female funky-blues guitar prodigy with guest appearance by Jonny Lang.
- Bill Engvall -- Here's Your Christmas Album (Warner Bros) new comedy in time for the season, with riffs like "Fruitcake Makes Me Puke."
- Everything But the Girl -- Temperamental (Atlantic).
- Fight Club -- original motion-picture soundtrack (Restless) with music composed by the Dust Brothers.
- Guster -- Lost and Gone Forever (Hybrid / Sire).
- Incognegro -- Incognegro (Chord Recordings) new from Madd Maxx of the Goats -- this new groove-oriented hip-hop outfit features ex-Bad Brains drummer Chuck Treece and a cover of the Clash's "Brand New Cadillac."
- Indigo Girls -- Come On Now Special (Epic) with guests Me'Shell Ndegeocello, Kate Schellenbach of Luscious Jackson, Sheryl Crow and Joan Osborne.
- Tonio K. -- Yugoslavia (Gadfly) all new material from this critic fave.
- Long Beach Dub All-Stars -- Long Beach Dub All-Stars (Dreamworks) ex-members of Sublime.
- Material -- Intonarumori (Axiom) further sound experimentation from Bill Laswell's collaborative featuring Kool Keith, Killah Priest and Public Enemy's Flavor Flav.
- Method Man & Redman -- Blackout! (Def Jam).
- Mount Pilot -- Mount Pilot (Doolittle).
- Muse -- Showbiz (Maverick).
- My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult -- Dirty Little Secrets: Music To Strip By (Rykodisc) 18-track collection of remixes.
- Our Lady Peace -- Happiness ... Is Not A Fish You Can Catch (Columbia).
- Pink Floyd -- The Wall (Columbia) DVD re-issue of the classic film.
- The Sewergrooves -- Songs From the Sewer (Estrus) from Sweden.
- Matthew Sweet -- In Reverse (Volcano) featuring bassist Carol Kaye.
- Pete Townshend -- Pete Townshend Live (House of Blues) recorded last year at Chicago's Maryville Academy Benefit with a bonus 10-minute CD of Townshend and Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder duet of "Magic Bus" and "Heart To Hang On To."
- Tram -- Heavy Black Frame (Jetset).
- Yes -- The Ladder (Beyond) features a CD-ROM preview of the Homeworld game they've composed the music for.