Information wants to be free, and, every now and then, so does music. This week’s new shows announcements include some rare opportunities to hear national touring acts for no money, other than the gas you’ll need to buy to get there.
At the moment, Boulder’s Fox Theatre has cornered the market — if you can call it that — with newly announced free outdoor concerts featuring Justin Townes Earle, The Band of Heathens, Bahamas, Current Swell, Colony House, and Marlon Williams. These early August shows, which are all open to the public, are part of the FMQB Triple A Conference, an annual confab where musicians hawk their wares to adult alternative radio programmers in hopes of becoming the next Coldplay.
Meanwhile, Sunshine Studios has announced its own free summer show, with Camper Von Beethoven successors Cracker, along with a host of support acts, playing the venue on August 6. Capacity is limited, though, so you may want to play it safe by going online to reserve your guaranteed admission for $1.
Lastly, here's this week’s full list of new show announcements. All tickets are on sale now, unless otherwise noted.
• John Butler Trio, Fox Theatre, Boulder, July 6
• Adventurer, Black Sheep, July 30
• Arise Music Festival, with Atmosphere, Lettuce, Ani DiFranco, others, Loveland, Aug. 4 (on sale June 30)
• Cracker, Sunshine Studios, Aug. 6
• Future Islands, Fox Theatre, Boulder, Aug. 9
• Bahamas, Current Swell, Fox Theatre, Boulder, Aug. 9 (free),
• Justin Townes Earle, The Band of Heathens, Fox Theatre, Boulder, Aug. 10 (free)
• Colony House, Marlon Williams, Fox Theatre, Boulder, Aug. 11 (free)
• Lillie Mae, Globe Hall, Denver, Aug. 30 (on sale June 29)
• Wovenhand, Marquis Theatre, Denver, Aug. 31 (on sale June 30)
• Haim, Ogden Theatre, Denver, Sept. 13
• Paul Kelly, Daniels Hall, Denver, Oct. 13
• Boris, Bluebird Theater, Denver, Oct. 17
• The Bad Plus, Boulder Theater, Bouder, Nov. 1
• The Devil Wears Prada, Summit Music Hall, Denver, Nov. 1 (on sale June 30)