- Courtesy Special Collections, Pikes Peak Library District
Related City faced with changing the rules on Banning Lewis Ranch to spur development: Growing plains
1890 — Multiple owners hold 160-acre homestead sites.
1900 — The area continues to have a multitude of owners; those with significant holdings included National Land & Cattle Co., The Colorado Title Trust Co., Pring family members and Thomas Ord.
1890 — Larger sections of land (as compared to the north) are owned by a handful of entities, including George W. Benedict, F.C. Thornton, Saulsbury/Skinner Brothers and East Colorado Springs Land Co.
1900 — Multiple owners hold the property, with significant amounts held by the McMahon family, Kurie family and William J. Palmer.
1890 — Ranches in this vicinity are held mainly by F.C. Thornton and Saulsbury/Skinner Brothers.
1900 — Land is held by many private individuals, with a chief landowner being William J. Palmer.
Entire ranch area:
1930 — For 30 years, Raymond W. and Ruth Banning Lewis slowly acquire parcels to assemble what is known today as the Banning Lewis Ranch.
1962 — Ruth dies; her husband becomes full owner.
1963 — Phoenix-based Lawrence & Stegall Colorado Properties Inc. buys most of the ranch.
1965 — Lawrence & Stegall defaults on a loan and deeds the ranch to Colorado Springs Land Holding Co., based in New York.
1981 — Centennial Investment & Development Corp. takes ownership.
1985 — Frank A. Aries acquires the ranch.
1988 — Land is titled to Aries Properties Inc. (City approves annexation agreement in August 1988.)
1989 — Saguaro Mortgage Services Inc. and Western Savings and Loan Association takes title after Aries turns the land back to the mortgage holders amid the savings and loan crisis.
1993 — Banning Lewis Ranch Corp., owned by Saudi billionaires, acquires the land.
2001 — Land is titled to CHP Banning-Lewis Ranch LLC, after it's purchased by California company Capital Pacific Holdings, Inc.
2004 — Banning Lewis Ranch Company LLC is listed as the owner.
2007 — City approves an infrastructure cost-sharing agreement among about two dozen property owners that estimates costs at $1.2 billion.
2011 — Ultra Resources Inc. and Oakwood Homes buy 18,500 and 2,400 acres, respectively, of the ranch from the bankruptcy of Capital Pacific.
2014 — BLH No 1 and BLH No 2, entities controlled by Nor'wood Development Group, acquire about 18,500 acres — minus mineral rights — from Ultra.
Source: El Paso County Assessor's Office