Courtesy Fountain Creek Watershed District
Sept. 28 kicked off Colorado Springs' annual Creek Week Clean-Up
, a nine-day schedule of events aimed at beautifying local waterways.
Since the first Creek Week in 2014, the event has more than quadrupled in size, with 2,791 volunteers and 99 groups participating last year. In total, Creek Week volunteers have picked up more than 84 tons of trash.
Missed the clean-ups last weekend? Never fear — there's still time to pitch in.
View a full list of remaining clean-ups at the Creek Week website. (There's too many to list them all here!)
Contact the crew leader to register.
Below, view a sampling of clean-ups, fundraisers and more creek-related events. All events are open to the public, and most are free.
Monday, Sept. 30:
● Clean-up at Bear Creek Park East
from 4 to 6 p.m. At 5 p.m., a representative from Environment Colorado will discuss historic contamination of water supplies from toxic PFAS chemicals near Peterson Air Force Base. Contact Crew Leader Alli Schuch at firstname.lastname@example.org
Tuesday, Oct. 1:
• The Pikes Peak Outdoor Recreation Alliance, Fountain Creek Watershed Flood Control and Greenway District, and the Cultural Office of the Pikes Peak Region will install a temporary "Pikes Peak Litter Letter Project"
public art piece on a berm off Cimarron Street, east of Interstate 25 and south of America the Beautiful Park. The piece consists of metal letters constructed by Concrete Couch and filled with trash collected on public land and around waterways. A public dedication at 4 p.m. will include remarks from local leaders.
● Goat Patch Brewery
, located at 2727 N. Cascade Ave., will host a "Bleating Heart Night" Fountain Creek Brewshed Alliance fundraiser for Creek Week from 5 to 9 p.m.
Wednesday, Oct. 2:
• The Colorado Springs Stormwater Enterprise will host a clean-up at America the Beautiful Park
from 2 to 4 p.m. Contact Crew Leader Jerry Cordova at email@example.com
Thursday, Oct. 3:
• Children ages 3 to 6, with an adult, can enjoy a Fountain Creek Nature Adventure
at Fountain Creek Nature Center, located at 320 Pepper Grass Lane in Fountain. Today's theme: "Outstanding Owls." Prepaid reservations
(required for all attendees) are $3 per person including siblings and adults.
Saturday, Oct. 5:
• Volunteers from Westside Cares, in partnership with COSILoveYou and Chapel of Our Saviour Episcopal Church, will meet at 9 a.m. at Vermijo Park
and work along the Fountain Creek Waterway from 25th Street to Ridge Road. OCC Trash Fairies will also clean up the Vermijo Park area from 9 a.m. to noon. Contact Crew Leader Luke Scott at firstname.lastname@example.org
• El Paso County Parks will host a clean-up at Bear Creek Dog Park
from 9 a.m. to noon. Contact Crew Leader Dana Nordstrom at email@example.com
● El Paso County Parks will host a clean-up of Fox Run Regional Park
from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Contact Crew Leader Nathan Robinson at firstname.lastname@example.org
● El Paso County Parks will host a clean-up at Bear Creek Nature Center and Regional Park
from 10 a.m. to noon. Contact Crew Leader Mary Jo Lewis at email@example.com
● Cross Creek Metropolitan District will host a clean-up at Cross Creek Park in Fountain
from 9 a.m. to noon. Contact Crew Leader Elise Bergsten at firstname.lastname@example.org
• The 4th Annual Clean n Crawl: Fountain Pick n Sip
, a Brewshed Alliance fundraiser for Creek Week, starts at 1 p.m. at Peaks n Pines Brewery
, located at 212 W. Illinois Ave. in Fountain. Tickets cost $25 per person, $40 for two or $50 for families. They include trash clean-up, free T-shirts, two beers and food. RSVP to Alli Schuch at email@example.com
● The city of Manitou Springs will host a clean-up at Memorial Park in Manitou Springs
from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Contact Crew Leader Mike Essam at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Manitou Brewing Company
, located at 725 Manitou Ave. in Manitou Springs, will host a Brewshed Alliance fundraiser for Creek Week from 1 to 3 p.m. For every pint purchased, $1 goes to support Creek Week, and volunteers can take 10 percent off food.
● Pueblo County will host a clean-up of Runyon Lake in Pueblo
from 9 a.m. to noon. Contact Crew Leader Andrea Crockenberg at email@example.com
● Brues Ale House Brewing Co.
, located at 120 Riverwalk Place in Pueblo, will host a Brewshed Alliance fundraiser for Creek Week with discounts for Creek Week volunteers all day.
• The Purgatoire River Cleanup Day
will take place along the Purgatoire River in Trinidad from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Contact Crew Leader Julie Knutson at firstname.lastname@example.org