Telephone Town Hall Meeting
· Wednesday, Nov. 29 from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
· By registering you will receive a phone call that will connect you to the conversation.
· Or participate in this event online.
In-person Town Hall Meeting
· Tuesday, Dec. 5 at 6:00 p.m.
· City Hall, 107 N Nevada Ave #300
Nov. 14, 2017 — The Colorado Springs Utilities (Springs Utilities) Board voted in 2015 to decommission the Martin Drake Power Plant no later than 2035. As community perspectives on this topic have evolved, Springs Utilities is now studying earlier decommissioning alternatives, including replacement generation scenarios.
There are a range of items being considered in each of these scenarios, including rate impacts, utility uses for the Drake location and downtown revitalization plans. In addition, each scenario comes with its advantages such as potential site redevelopment and greater flexibility to meet the community’s electric needs in the future.
These scenarios can be broken down into three categories:
· Replacement generation inside the service territory (at Drake or at our Birdsall location on North Nevada).
· Replacement generation outside the service territory.
· A combination of generation inside and outside the service territory.
Renderings available at csu.org depict possible futures for the Drake location to include a new natural gas power plant and the addition of solar energy to assist with Springs Utilities’ renewable energy goals.
Attend one of the town hall meetings listed above for an important community conversation about the Drake Power Plant.