We've written about the KKK angle fairly recently here.A house with history: it’s not just the architecture that makes this house noteworthy, but the history that has occurred inside. Now part of the Colorado College campus in Colorado Springs, the Dodge-Hamlin house was built in 1916 by famed architect Nicolaas van den Arend. Born in Holland, van den Arend later moved to Colorado Springs and is considered a prominent Colorado architect of the early 20th century.
- Courtesy History Colorado
Newspaper publisher Clarence Dodge erected the house in the then-popular Mission Revival style that emulated early Spanish Missions in California. In 1923 Dodge sold the house to another important publisher and political leader, Clarence Hamlin. Hamlin played a vital role in defeating the Ku Klux Klan member stronghold within the Colorado Republican Party, where the Klan utilized political power rather than violence.
Here at History Colorado we have a large collection of items from the KKK presence in Colorado, many of which are on display as part of the Lincoln Hills exhibit. You can visit the Stephen H. Hart Library and Research Center to see these documents, or any other collection items for yourself.
Hamlin continued to live in the home until his death in 1940, after which the house was eventually acquired by Colorado College and used as residences and classrooms. A significant part of Colorado Springs history, the Dodge-Hamlin House is listed in the National Register for its historical associations, its architectural style and landscape, and its role in the growth of the college’s educational programs.
DENVER, June 16, 2015 - Six properties across Colorado that tell stories of our nation's agricultural, engineering, social, and environmental past were added to the National Register of Historic Places. Administered by the National Park Service, the National Register is a prestigious list of America's most significant historic places and archeological sites.
“History Colorado works with the National Park Service to list buildings in Colorado in the National Register of Historic Places,” says Steve Turner, V.P. of Preservation at History Colorado and Colorado’s Deputy State Historic Preservation Officer. “The inclusion of these six properties demonstrate the wide array of resources that History Colorado and the National Park Service seek to preserve.”
In the 1940s,Frank Zybach and Ernest Engelbrecht on their farm in Adams County created center-pivot irrigation, which improved water distribution through the use of rotating sprinkler equipment. This innovative idea transformed irrigation systems worldwide and is responsible for the distinctive green crop circles across the Colorado plains.
Now part of the Colorado College campus in Colorado Springs, the Mission Revival style Dodge-Hamlin House was built in 1916 by famed architect Nicolaas van den Arend for newspaper publisher Clarence Dodge, who sold the house in 1923 to publisher and political leader, Clarence Hamlin.
Winks Panorama/Winks Lodge (amendment and boundary increase)
In 1925 Obrey Wendall “Winks” Hamlet constructed Winks Lodge at Lincoln Hills, a resort community in Gilpin County that offered a safe haven for African-American vacationers. Winks Lodge was added to the National Register in 1980, but this year, an amendment was approved to increase the boundary and elevate the site’s significance from the state to the national level.
Monument Lake Park Building and Hatchery Complex
Located amidst the Sangre de Cristo Mountains near Trinidad, the Rustic style Monument Lake Park Building and Hatchery Complex was built in 1934 by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) as both a fish hatchery and a zoo.
Great Western Sugar Company EffluentFlume Bridge, Fort Collins
The production of beet sugar created so much effluent, liquid waste that the Great Western Sugar Company in Fort Collins had to design a suspension bridge to remove it. The Effluent Flume and Bridge was designed in the 1920s to carry lime and beet pulp and water waste across the the the Cache la Poudre River at what is today Kingfisher Point Natural Area.
South Park City Museum
Built in 1959, the South Park City Museum is an intact outdoor museum and replica of a frontier mining community. More than 50 years later, the South Park City Museum is still open to the public today.
Read more about the history of these properties in From Farms to Zoos and Everything in Between: Colorado Welcomes Six New Properties to the National Register on the History Colorado Preservation Blog