· Saved 171 trees;
· Conserved 252,464 gallons of water;
· Taken 15 cars off the road;
· Saved 333,261 kilowatt hours of energy;
· Reduced oil consumption by 9,080 gallons; or
· Averted 58,376 pounds of greenhouse gas.
Greener Corners principal Aaron Klein started the company in 2008 in New Jersey, and currently oversees programs in New York, Pennsylvania and Texas, with new programs starting in 2012 in Ohio. He says to expect expanded recycling and trash points in Colorado Springs in the coming year as well.
Though he knows of some similar programs in other places, he says "no other company is focusing on the recycling, education, awareness and the tracking/results components of this. We are not an advertising company — we do maintain advertising to fund the program in its entirety so we can be self-sufficient and self-sustainable. We do need that revenue to fund the program. However, we’re a recycling company."