It's list time, and what better list topic than things that save you money? These come courtesy of the location-based social network foursquare, and its option to offer deals to folks who "check in" to restaurants around town. (Deals are available to all types of businesses, but these will be food-based. The company has also partnered with Groupon and Living Social to offer real-time deals to people near a certain business, but we're excluding those for our purposes.)
So, without further ado, the five best deals at locally owned businesses we could find on our phone, in a 10-mile radius — the largest setting — from our location downtown. All require a check-in at the location, and likely a flashing of the phone to an employee to prove said check-in.
5. Nosh offers a pair of savings opportunities. First, the "mayor" — the person who has checked-in to a location more times in the past 60 days than any other user — receives 30 percent off every time he/she dines at the bar, including food and beverages; and "1/2 price plate every 3rd checkin!"
4. The Rabbit Hole Dinner & Drinks also has two: "Check in and enjoy $2.50 house wines, wells, drafts & 50% off all apps" and the option to "check in on Sunday's & enjoy our Sunday Night Special: Purchase any 2 entrees & add a bottle of Penfold's (chard, cab, merlot) for only $5."
3. Montague's Coffee House offers what's known as a "friend special," meaning you have to know somebody else to take advantage of the offer to check in with a friend, and get a second meal for half-off after you buy the first meal at full price.
2. Manitou Springs' Craftwood Inn is feeling your love of pre-food, thus: "Receive a free appetizer with the purchase of two regularly priced entrees."
1. Dale Street Café knows exactly what makes our hearts sing and our stomachs rejoice: free food. And while several on this list get close to the bistro's territory, none can equal its sweet and simple offer to "buy one entree and receive a second entree at equal or lesser value."