Thanks to everyone who participated in FOCUS: 24 Hours in the Pikes Peak Region, a photo contest for publication and exhibit, sponsored by the Independent, the Business of Art Center and Shewmaker's Camera Shop(s). For details of the shoot, see the Introduction to the issue.
Jurors for the show were Rodney Wood, director of the Business of Art Center; Kathryn Eastburn, editor of the Independent; professional local photographer Rick Helstrom; and Johnnie Zeornes, photographer, organizer of the local photographers' group Circle of Confusion, and employee of Shewmaker's.
We are pleased to announce and to congratulate the following winners in the contest:
- Best Professional Photo: Carol Dass, "Neighborhood Watch"
- Best Amateur Photo: Meggan Burghardt, "That's Tits!"
- Best Color Photo (Professional): Bruce Elliott, "Spirit of the Indian Dance"
- Best Color Photo (Amateur): Gerry Riggs, "View of Bison Creek and Cathedral Park"
- Best Black and White Photo (Professional): John Sparks, "Bike Wash"
- Best Black and White Photo (Amateur): Candace Riggleman, "Old Friends"
- Jurors' Group Award: Steve Dass, "24 Hours at Balanced Rock"
- Kathryn Eastburn: Lilla Woertendyke, "Lookers"
- Rick Helstrom: Nicole R. Wrona, "You're Not in Kansas Anymore"
- Johnnie Zeornes: John Sparks, "North Cheyenne Caon"
- Rodney Wood: Lee Manning, "Hobos Under Bijou Bridge"
We would also like to thank the merchants who so generously donated prizes for our winners:
- Best Pro: Nikon camera, donated by Shewmaker's Camera Shop
- Best Amateur: Kodak digital camera, donated by Godec's
- Best Color, Pro: $25 processing from 30-Minute Photo; $25 cash; $75 framing from Fast Frame
- Best Color, Amateur: $25 processing from 30-Minute Photo; $25 cash
- Best Black and White, Pro: $25 processing, 30-Minute Photo; $25 cash; $75 framing from Art Hardware
- Best Black and White, Amateur: $25 processing from 30-Minute Photo; $25 cash
- Juror's Group Award: $75 enlargement package from Gerard's; $25 cash
- Individual Juror Awards: $50 cash each
Participants in the contest and the public are invited to the opening of a month-long exhibit of the FOCUS photographs at the Business of Art Center, Friday, Sept. 10, 5-8 p.m. We hope to see you there!