It's time again for a giant information dump of Front Range food news: Grab a spork.
• According to this Denver Business Journal article, Smashburger is looking to expand into South Korea. (What? North Korea's not buyin'?)
• Speaking of Boulder, Bon Appétit just named Boulder America's Foodiest Town.
• Here's a fun Mother Jones read about Which 5 Canned Foods Contain the Most BPA. (Yum ... bisphenol A.)
• What? You want some seafood news, too? You got it: Here's a USA Today feature on Whole Foods' new program for weighing the environmental cost of seafood.
• In more community news: The North End Diner wants patrons to know about its unique "second chances" program, which offers ex-felons "a new start in life." Here's owner Jackie Houston:
We currently have 5 felons on staff: 1/3 of our employees total. I do the interviews with each one to see if they meet within our guidelines of hiring ex-felons. The restaurant hires people with offenses ranging from drug offenders to car thefts- petty offenses. I train them on soft skills and how to get out of the prison-yard mentality. Then we help them develop skills on customer service, speaking in front of the public with language and appropriate subjects. The training includes: wait staff, cooking, cleaning, inventory, health classes, and safety. This helps build a resume with current work history and we help place them in other job possibilities ... I believe we as citizens have a responsibility to help these ex-felons. I feel that we have a great opportunity to help felons and improve our city. THEY ARE PEOPLE TOO! The ex-felons, who are our neighbors and perhaps are someone’s sons, daughters, sisters, brothers, moms and dad, need to have a job that gives them a little help on building self esteem and putting money in their pocket instead of them coming through your back door committing more crimes ...
I hope to build the 2nd chance program and, with support from our community, we will be continually blessed. We use our own resources and, with the economy being challenged, we would ask our customers, the community for even more support. We need your help! Buy a gift card today at North End Diner and support the Second Chance program at North End Diner!” ... The North End Diner will also offer a SECOND CHANCE SPECIAL to all of our customers. During the month of September, buy any Burger at the regular price and receive the second at only a nickel (with purchase of regular priced drinks).