Springs' favorite old gal to get facelift



Time has a way of taking its toll on exteriors.

That's true whether you're a person or a building. And just as people need maintenance — diet, exercise, makeup, hair spray, plastic surgery — so do buildings. So it's good to hear that one the Springs' grandest old landmarks will be getting the care she needs.

Work begins today to protect, restore and repair the exterior of the Colorado Springs Pioneers Museum. All the work is grant-funded, and the museum will remain open during the project.

More info below:

Colorado Springs Pioneers Museum begins exterior restoration

The public will soon start to see scaffolding and bucket trucks around Colorado Springs Pioneers Museum and workers repelling along the sides of the Museum’s clock tower. On September 15, 2010, the Museum will begin an exterior restoration project on its home, the 1903 El Paso County Courthouse. The grant-funded work will include roof repairs, restoration of exterior metals, and maintenance of electrical systems. This is the first phase of a projected four-phase project to restore the exterior of the Colorado Springs Pioneers Museum.
The 1903 El Paso County Courthouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and has been home to the Museum since 1979. It is considered the Museum’s largest and most expensive artifact.
Plans for the project were developed following a grant-funded Historic Structures Assessment completed in 2005, which led to a planning study conducted in 2008. The $205,000 project is being funded entirely by grants and gifts, and will be completed in early 2011. No municipal taxpayer funding is included in the project. Financial supporters include the State Historical Fund, H. Chase Stone Trust, and the Downtown Development Authority, along with a number of individual donations made through the El Paso County Enterprise Zone. The project contractor is Murphy Constructors of Colorado Springs and the architectural firm is Slaterpaull Architects.
The Museum will remain open throughout the construction. Museum hours are 10 a.m. — 4 p.m. Tuesdays through Saturdays. The Museum is now accepting donations for the next phase of restoration and gifts are eligible for state income tax credits.
For more information, please call the Museum at 385-5990.

Add a comment

Clicky Quantcast